Change Of Style

I did a slow but good 15K run today and am learning to deal running with shin splints. Yes, my shin splint problems doesn't seem to want to heal as fast as I want it too and have resigned myself to the fact that it's going to be with me for quite a while.

I could ease off running for a few weeks (argghh, such blasphemy!) and try to let it heal but I can't seem to quell this running itch I get everytime I see someone running. I know I should really get some rest but I'm beginning to deal with the pain and am learning to change the way I run to accomodate the shin splints.

So far, I've found a pretty decent striding technique that almost complete dissipates the pain during my runs. I run like every other runner out there by landing on my heels and pushing off with the balls of my feet but today I tried landing a little more on my midsole and pushing off with the balls of my feet which surprisingly actually helped reduce the pain by quite a bit, almost to the point of no pain and with hardly any reduction of my regular pace.

I'll be trying this style of running for a bit, at least until the pain finally eases off completely. With that said and done, I'm looking forward to tomorrow evening's run :D You know what would be great? If there was a shop out there that runners could go and just change their legs when they get injuries like the changing of tyres, now wouldn't that be awesome? :D

Comments