Warming Up : Yes Or No?

Sitting in the office all day can be pretty boring and is of absolutely no help for my feet and body which oftentimes start getting all tight. I don't think I could sit in the office all day. While sitting here and my desk can be good to rest my feet for my evening run later, it can also have the exact opposite effect where it gets my muscles all tight and achy and I'd have to put in more effort for my warm-ups.

Fortunately this is not something I do everyday. I run my own large format inkjet printing company and most of the time I'm always on my feet outside meeting clients, attending and participating in installations and helping out with production work. I'm the kind of person who takes a hands on approach to things. My work motto is 'If you wanna get something done right, do it yourself'.

I like being out and about on my feet doing stuff cos then when I get home in the evening, I'm all pumped up for my run and my body (and especially my feet) are all nice and warmed up already. A simple 5-10 minutes of stretches will suffice unlike days like today when things are so bloody quiet in the office and no client wants to see me which leads me to sitting at my desk all day and getting my legs all tight and achy which will take me a heck longer to warm up. Not to mention that it makes me feel all lazy as well!

I take warming up seriously seeing as how injuries are easily obtainable at my age. I love running but it's an entirely different thing to run with pains in your legs ... not nice at all, I'm sure you guys who run know what I'm talking about.


But  I've read that the camp is divided on the issue of warming up and stretching, with some people saying you don't need to warm up and some saying that you do. Which camp do you subscribe to? I'm all for warming up, like I said at my age, I'm all that much LESS flexible and loosening and warming the muscles prior to a run is pretty important for me.

What do you think? Is warming up and stretching before any exercise a must for you or do you think it's just a waste of time?

Comments

  1. I warm up before any workout, but I strecth after.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Need a bit of warm up and stretch before runs. I get all stiff if I don't do proper warm up. But I'm more of a stretching kinda person. Before and after run. Need to cool down too after run heheh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i slow jog about 2km, then do dynamic stretching before running my usual pace.

    Never stretch with cold muscle. that my take on this, good luck on SCKLM, bet u gonna do well :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty lazy when it comes to warming up and stretching. Most of the time, I start at a jog pace then gradually increase after 2 or 3km. Mostly because I just can't wait to start my runs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lina - I make sure I stretch at least 10 minutes after my runs to avoid those post run aches.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mas - Same here, I must warm up before running and make sure I stretch after my runs. If not, I'll feel all achy the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ray - I normally walk for a whole 5 minutes before I run and thanks for the tip about not stretching before warming up :D

    I'll be happy if I can just cross the finish line la ... LOL! You taking part too right. I'll be sure to look out for you and don't forget to look out for my shoes ... LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Patricia - Welcome to my humble blog :D

    Actually I can't wait to start running but I'm afraid of injuries hence the need to warm up thoroughly before my runs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment